Mindfulness is being talked about by teachers, parents, health providers, and the media, and its benefits abound, especially for kids. As explained by the Child Mind Institute, mindfulness can be extremely helpful for kids throughout the school day and in their life overall: its goal is to “give…enough distance from disturbing thoughts and emotions to be able to observe them without immediately reacting to them.”
Through breathing, stretching, and meditative exercises, mindfulness aims to help kids gain awareness of the present moment, their bodies and emotions. Research has shown that mindfulness helps to reduce stress, improve focus, regulate emotions, and boost confidence.
If you are looking to try mindfulness with your students in school or at home with your kids, GoNoodle’s mindfulness videos are a great start. With our 2-5 minute videos, kids can learn and practice concrete mindfulness techniques and strategies that are relatable, and transferable to their everyday life. Below are suggested videos and ways to integrate mindfulness into the classroom or at home to help kids stay in tune with their minds and bodies, and channel their energy in positive and empowering ways. And to help kids implement what they learn in practical ways, talk with them about how and during which moments they can use these strategies in their lives.
Start the day off right with these energizing stretching, breathing, and code switching videos. At school they are perfect for morning meeting, and at home they are ideal for before starting the school day.
- Take on the Day on the Think About It Channel (Great for grades K-5 )
- Get Energized on the Empower Tools Channel (Great for grades 3-5)
- Fit the Sitch on the Blazer Fresh Channel (Great for grades 1-5)
Imagine being asked to jump straight from an exercise class into reading a novel, or straight from lunch with a friend into grading papers. We all need transitions to help orient our bodies and minds for the task ahead. Try these stretching, breathing, and calming videos after lunch, recess, between subjects or before bedtime, to help transform kids’ excited, active energy into calm, focused energy.
- Let’s Unwind on the Flow Channel (Great for grades 2-5)
- Find Peace on the Think About It Channel (Great for grades: K-5 )
- Strengthen Your Focus on the Empower Tools Channel (Great for grades 2-5)
Give kids tools to work through feelings of anxiety and nervousness around new routines and activities or before they face a challenge such as a test or sports competition. Boost their confidence and relieve stress with these meditative, breathing, and stretching videos.
- Snake Breath on the Moose Tube Channel (Great for grades K-5)
- Victorious on the Flow Channel (Great for grades 3-5)
- Relieve Anxiety on the Empower Tools Channel (Great for grades 1-5)
Happy GoNoodling and wishing you mindful, calm moments throughout your day!